I had a banana for breakfast this morning (Healthy Point), although not much else. Hungry for something else naturally, I discovered the leftover sweet potato fries I made for dinner the other night (kids hated them, of course). And as I was eating them, I was thinking about the salty food cravings I’ve been having in the middle of the day. I’ve always been a fan of salty snacks much more than sweets. But it seems in the last couple of months that these salty cravings, particularly during the day, have increased (remember the bag of chips yesterday?).
Then, I opened an email today from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. Why I get these emails is a subject for another day but I do enjoy these friendly emails from Emily (no, I don’t know her personally but she always sounds so perky!). The subject of the email is “Salty or Sweet? Two Tasty Recipes Inside!” (I told you she’s perky) and part of the email reads:
You’ll probably be surprised to learn that cravings for:
• salty foods could be caused by mineral deficiency
• bitter foods could be caused by digestive issues
• spicy foods could be caused by poor circulation
• creamy foods could be caused by a need for comfort
• sweet foods could be caused by stress or a lack of energy